Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mommy shaming

You've probably seen my facebook status. I am clearly over this crap. Every day I wake up (or zombie read at 2 a.m.) a study about something I did or didn't do during pregnancy or while breastfeeding that is going to "doom" my child. They are going to have ADHD or Autism because I ate peanuts or took Tylenol. Paul isn't an old father so I guess I dodged that ADHD bullet. Or that if you breastfeed you are spoiling your child or go ahead give your child formula it is no different than formula. Okay breastmilk is different. Am I happy that I can breastfeed my daughter? Yes. But if I were giving her formula would I hate myself? No. She is being fed. My siblings and I are all just fine and were fed formula. Do I sit around wondering if maybe I'd be able to do math if my mom breastfed me? NO. Maybe that's how I was born. We don't have to have something to blame for everything, more importantly we don't have to have SOMEONE to blame. Life and from what I have experienced in 4 short months parenting is hard with out constantly being told you are doing it wrong because of one half assed study that looked at 100 kids.

If P was born with ADHD or Autism or anything else it is my job as a parent to love her and set her up to excel to the best of her ability. It will not benefit her in hindsight to waste my time thinking "damn it I shouldn't have had that peanut butter on my english muffin".  Maybe by the time we are possibly blessed with a sibling for her there will be hard fact for some do or don't while pregnant. Even now at most doctor's offices will tell you to do anything in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment